Sunday, 20 December 2009

Love for the Labyrinth



Whilst round at my friends house the other night, we ended up watching this old classic over hot chocolate and cookies. Now, I think this film may well be one of those things that you could only really appreciate it if you were brought up with it. An only-a-face-that-a-mother-could-love kind of relationship. So I understand if you feel the need to shy away from its inspiring and looming brilliance.

David Bowie app ear's in Labyrinth, Jim Henson's 1986 cult film as Jareth, the king of the goblins. Jareth is a powerful, mysterious creature who has an antagonistic yet strangely flirtatious relationship with Jennifer Connelly who plays the teenage heroine, Sarah. Appearing in heavy make-up and a mane-like wig, Bowie sang a variety of new songs specially composed for the film's soundtrack, which I am sure you will agree are somewhat magnificent if you base them on the example embedded above. And I must say, Mr Bowie, that is a wonderful cod piece you are sporting!

Ok, so I am a huge fan of Mr Bowies music of the 70's era and his reinvention of music, image and visual performance. But this is something else, at the time I though this and Gremlins, Time Bandits and the like were the bizz, in retrospect I love them for their bizarre excellence.

Maybe old Ziggy Stardust always had the King of the Goblins inside him...



Deep, deep inside.
Mr Bowie, carry on Sir.

And if you were wondering who the friend with whom I shared this bizarre retrospective moment was...

http://francescaejackson.blogspot.com/

Ches Jackson, where have you been all my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment