Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Restless Hands

"Art in the 20th century asserted itself through a process of destruction and decay."
-Serge Lemoine

Knit Project. Semester One of Second Year. So this is where it gets serious.

It's the penultimate week of term and I am trying to collate all the design work I have done so far, as well as finish off final pieces and present everything to 'professional standard'. I thought it was about time I put some of my own work up on this thing so you can all see where all of these influences actually channel themselves.
So basically I started off looking at the art period Vienna 1900, particularly the work of Schiele, Kokoschka and Klimt. I soon became focused upon Schiele's work and the way he expresses emotion though imagery of hands.



"I shall go so far that people will be seized with terror at the sight f each of my works of 'living' art."
-Egon Schiele

Everything just kind of took off from there and I started looking deeper into the areas of literature (Rimbaud's french poetry) and advances in psychology and medicine that inspired Schiele and his strange .








I was working with un traditional materials such as mod roc, latex and tea and coffee dying techniques inspired by Shelly Fox and her unusual fashion fabrics implications.






I went to Leeds City Art Gallery and saw the Sculpture in Painting exhibition. It was realllllly good. I started looking at how 3D forms could be communicated on a 2D page through students work from The South Kensington System in the 1970s. I went on to look at the exhibition work of Eva Hesse through my own study.









After visiting the Knitting and Stitching show in Harrogate last month I became more focused upon what I wanted to achieve and looked specifically at the work of Roanna Wells for transparency and Rozanne Hawksley.





Through my extensive experimentation with latex I started to experiment with using latex gloves as a base for yarn in knitting.






Believe me. This feels oddly nice.
This was to be put into an gallery installation context.




The machine knit work I was doing alongside this used the same colour palette as Schiele's paintings and incorporated some of the new techniques Ive learnt on the dubier V-beds. I then used these samples to mill in a tie-die fashion to create little mushroomy shapes (yes, I managed to fit them in somewhere) which I then home dyed with coffee and applied latex to the little bumps.



I think this collection fits in better with textiles for fashion. You know you'll all be wearing it a few months down the road.




No comments:

Post a Comment