Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Howl

Allen Ginsberg

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night..."


"...who wept at the romance of the streets with their pushcarts full of onions and bad music,
who sat in boxes breathing in the darkness under the bridge, and rose up to build harpsichords in their lofts, who coughed on the sixth floor of Harlem crowned with flame under the tubercular sky surrounded by orange crates of theology,
who scribbled all night rocking and rolling over lofty incantations which in the yellow morning were stanzas of gibberish"


I wish with all of my might that I was someone who read and understood poetry, unfortunatly the time I spent knowing the most was through my GCSE years with an exuberant English teacher at my side.

The closest I have come to enjoying and understanding poetry through my own experience is through this poem by Ginsberg, so it's only natural that I am looking forward to the film.

Having seen the trailer it has only just made a connection in my mind that Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's third album could be a direct refence to the poem.

The album is amazing, and I suggest that you give it a listen.


One day I would liketo be a wiser woman, sipping coffee in a smoky bar, burried in books and elegant in poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment